March 24, 2013

Irish Soda Bread


 Loving this stuff. I was determined to make a good soda bread, if for no other reason than to honor the Irish.


 I wanted it to be a little on the healthy side...


And it would be of little use to me if it wasn't tasty as well...


I think I've perfected it!

  

Orange Cranberry Soda Bread

2 cups white flour
2 cups wheat flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons Redmond's Real salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
1 egg
1 cup dried cranberries
zest from one orange

In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients with a whisk. Cut in butter (I just pounded it with the whisk to make sure it was in small pieces). In a large liquid measuring cup mix the buttermilk, orange juice, egg and zest. Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and start to mix. then add the dried cranberries and finish mixing, just until combined. Knead dough on a floured surface briefly. Form into a ball, flatten slightly, mark it with an X and bake on a cookie sheet at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes.. Cool on a rack, or eat it hot with butter!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment